14 Days Craft and Textile Tours in Bhutan
The 14 Days Craft and Textile Tours in Bhutan will provide you an opportunity to witness the best-known Kishuthara weaving (multicolored silk patterning on a kira) in Khoma village in Lhuentse (Eastern Bhutan) and the famous Yathra and Mathra weaving in Bumthang (Central Bhutan). In Thimphu, you will visit the Royal Textile Academy, Gagyel Lhundrup Weaving Center & Handi Craft Emporium.
Weaving is one of the finest arts of women in Bhutan. They weave the traditional dress themselves called Kira for woman and Gho for man.
View Road travel map of 14 Days Craft and Textile Tours in Bhutan in Google Map.
Day 01. Arrive at Paro.
Day 02. Paro – Thimphu.
Day 03. Thimphu.
Day 04. Thimphu.
Day 05. Thimphu – Wangdue – Trongsa.
Day 06. Trongsa – Bumthang.
Day 07. Bumthang.
Day 08. Bumthang – Mongar .
Day 09. Mongar – lhuentse.
Day 10. Lhuentse – Mongar.
Day 11. Mongar – Trongsa.
Day 12. Trongsa – Punakha.
Day 13. Punakha – Paro.
Day 14. Depart Paro.
Detail Itinerary for 14 Days Craft and Textile Tours in Bhutan
Day 1: Arrive Paro (Altitude: 2280 m): Your Guide from Yak Holidays Int’l will receive you at the airport and drive you to the Hotel.
- Ta Dzong (built in1656 and renovated in 1968)
- Rimpung Dzong (literally meaning “Heap of Jewels”).
Dinner and overnight in Tashi Namgay Resort or similar.
Day 2: Paro – Thimphu (Altitude 2320 m) (Distance: 54 km, 1 hr drive
- Excursion to Taktsang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest)
- Kichu Lhakhang, built in 659 A D
- Drukgyal Dzong built in 1647, now in ruins
In the evening, drive to Thimphu. On the way, view Tamchog Monastery built by Thangthong Gyalpo. Dinner and overnight in Hotel Migmar or similar.
Day 3: Sightseeing in Thimphu (2320 m):
- Gagyel Lhundrup Weaving Centreat the Industrial Estate in Changzamtog
- National Memorial Chorten (1974)
- Painting School
- Weaving Centre at the Royal Textile Academy.
After lunch, visit
- Bhutanese paper factory at work
- Tashichho Dzong
- Handicrafts Emporium.
Dinner and overnight in Hotel Migmar or similar.
Day 4: Thimphu Sightseeing:
- Hike to Cheri Monastery
- Folk Heritage Museum.
- Textile Museum.
- Changangkha Lhakhang.
- Largest statue of Buddha in the world.
Dinner and overnight in Hotel Migmar or similar.
Day 5: Thimphu – Wangdue Phodrang (1310 m) – Trongsa (Altitude: 2300 m) (Distance: 205 km, 6 hrs)
After breakfast we travel a scenic drive to Trongsa through Dochu La Pass (altitude of 3150 m). Dochula Pass – famous for the Druk Wangyal Chortens
- Royal Botanical Park at Lam Pelri.
Follow the route to Trongsa crossing the Black Mountains via Pele La Pass (Altitude: 3,300m) and en route stop off at Chendebji Chorten (stupa) located just below the road. Dinner and O/N at Yangkhil Resort or similar.
Day 6: Trongsa – Bumthang (2800 m) (Distance: 68 km, 3 hrs)
- Trongsa Dzong- built in its present form in 1644 by Chogyal Minjur Tempa.
- Ta Dzong – an ancient watch tower
After lunch, drive to Bumthang.
- En route we will stop at the Yathra Weaving Factory at Chumey, where they use yak and sheep wools for yathra products with patterns unique to Bumthang and enjoy the scene of the weavers on their looms in action.
Dinner and overnight in Hotel Swiss Guest House or similar.
Day 7: Sightseeing in Bumthang (2800 m)
After breakfast, visit to
- Jakar Dzong – Founded by great grand-father of the first Shabdrung, the Dzong was initially built as a monastery in 1549.
- Jambay Lhakhang – built in the 7th century by Tibetan King, Songtsen Gampo.
After lunch, visit to:
- Kurjey Lhakhang – Kurje Lhakhang consists of three temples. These three temples are surrounded by a 108 chorten wall.
Tamshing Lhakhang (Temple of the good message) – founded in 1501 by Terton Pema Lingpa, the re-incarnation of Guru Padsambhava. Dinner and overnight in Swiss Guest House or similar.
Day 8: Bumthang – Mongar (Altitude: 2600 m) (Distance: 198 km, 6-7 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Mongar. En route you’ll visit
- The Mebar Tsho (Burning Lake) located along the way to Tang village, where the renowned treasure reveler, Terton Pema Lingpa, discovered treasures from the lake in the late 15th century.
- En route stop off at the Ura Shelthang La, where you will enjoy a magnificent view of the Bhutan’s highest peak, Mt Gangkar Puensum (7,500 m).
- Stop at Sengor village and Namling where you can view the breathtaking landscapes of the cascading waterfalls and admire the diverse flora and fauna in these places. Dinner and O/N in Hotel Druk Dzongar or similar (No website).
Day 9: Mongar – Lhuentse (Altitude: 1700 m) (Distance: 75 km, 3 – 4 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Lhuentse- the ancestral home of the Royal Family of Bhutan.
- Lhuentse Dzong built in the 17th century before having lunch.
- Next, drive back to Tsazam Bridge and explore into the countryside visit to Khoma village crossing Kurichu River for about one and a half hours. Overnight in Farmhouse.
Day 10: Lhuentse: Weaving Tour in Khoma Village – Mongar:
Whole morning weaving tour to Khoma Village. Walk through the village and explore some of the interesting small villages and ancient temples.
After lunch, drive back to Mongar. Dinner and O/N in Hotel Druk Dzongar or similar (No website)
Day 11: Mongar –Bumthang – Trongsa (Altitude: 2300 m) (Distance: 261 km, 6-7 hrs)
After breakfast, drive to Trongsa. Lunch will be served on the way. Dinner and O/N at Yangkhil Resort or similar.
Day 12: Trongsa – Punakha (1310 m) (Distance: 140 km, 5- 6 hrs):
After breakfast, drive to Punakha via Wangdue Phodrang.
- En route visit the construction site Wangdue Phodrang Dzong razed by fire in 2012.
- Visit Rinchengang village
Dinner and O/N in Meri Puensum.
Day 13: Punakha – Paro (2280 m) (Distance: 130 km, 4 hrs): After breakfast, visit:
- Punakha Dzong – Built in 1637, by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to serve as the religious and administrative centre of the region.
- Chimi Lhakhang en route, which is dedicated to the legendary Lama Drukpa Kinley (known as the Divine Madman).
After lunch, drive to Paro. In the evening, take an exploratory walk in the town. Dinner and O/N at Tashi Namgyal Resort or similar.
Day 14: Paro. Departure: Early morning, drive to the airport and farewell.
- Hot stone bath.
- Cycling around Paro valley.
- Practice Archery.
- Bhutanese cooking class.
- Bhutanese cultural show featuring various mask dances and folk dances.
- Talk on Gross National Happiness / Buddhism.
- Consulting an Astrologer.
- Practice Dart.
- Performing religious ceremony.
- Marriage ceremonies.
Please contact us for the price.
- Village walk
- Hike to Dzongdrakha Monastery.
- Hike to Kila Gompa.
- Excursion to Chelila Pass.